i think maybe i am too young to write poems

i think maybe i am too young to write poems.
i haven’t had time to get sick and tired and angry,
haven’t been loved really or loved really,
haven’t learned enough about this world.

i do not understand and i am not wise.
i haven’t seen life truly: povertywardeathsadness...
a child looks at the world in wonder,
but i with my twenty two years have scrabbled
in the dust and stones on the surface –
cut my knees once or twice –

i have known a bit and learned a little,
but i’m still teetering over real life.

suspended in my bubble untainted above all the horror,
i think maybe i am too young to write poems.
i need time to mature grow ripen:
like a lemon:
go sour

1 comment:

Aleta said...

I am moved by your poetry you are young but so very wise to know you may be too young. You are not too young if you are sensitive to these things as in "i am crying"
I was also touched by the "Poem for freedom" I sent it to my daughter
ps no such thing as too young the world IS as you see it now.
I will keep up with your site it is good.